Monday, February 13, 2012

What is a friend?

What is a friend?  Is it someone you share experiences with? Is it someone you have shared experiences with?  Is it someone who knows the things you know? Is it someone you enjoy being around? Is it someone you can tell anything and everything to?  Is it someone who is friends with your friends?  Is it someone who makes you laugh and, in turn, you make them laugh? Is it someone who laughs at the same jokes? Is it someone who won't think less of you no matter what? Is it someone you could go anywhere with and have a fun time? Is it someone your age? or can they be any age? Does a friend think the same way you do?
These questions puzzle me, because if a friend is all of those things then I have yet to find a true friend.  Maybe the true friend lies within a Utopian society.  We can imagine a true friend, but we will never find one.
Yes, I have many great friends, girls and guys, all of them wonderfully fun and awesome in their own way; but I don't think they are my true friends every now and then.  It isn't that they are mean, it's just some small things that they do that a true friend wouldn't do. One example is when all I do is listen to them. I may be someone's best friend, because they tell me everything, but if they don't listen to me in turn I find they are not my best friend.  It sounds selfish, but that's just how it is. I will listen and care about your needs and wants, but you have to return the favor and listen to my woes to be my true friend. I always seem to be listening to others, being their for them through their drama despite the fact that they aren't always there for me. I don't know when or where to look for true friends, because my school is so full of cliques.
Cliques.  The downfall of High School social life.  At my school, everyone's been friends with the same people since Middle School.  They've all grown up in the same neighborhood, the same ward and the same friend group.  I don't blame them for wanting to stay in their comfort zone, but would it kill someone to hang out with the new girl for once? Or even just reach out to the person who has been in 5 of your classes since the seventh grade?  I know I am an offender of this clique business, but my goal is to try to break free of it.  I am shy and it's hard. I don't know how to keep a conversation up with people I don't know after my initial ice-breaker comments. I am challenging myself to be friendly to everyone and not hang out with the same 3 people every weekend.  If any of my fellow classmates read this blog, please try to do the same. It will be a lot easier if more of us break free of our little penguin circles in the commons area and get to know different people.
To my true-er friends:  I think you guys are amazing and super fun at times and this blog is in no way written to dis on you or our friendship. I am just trying to figure things out, so don't be offended. Love you guys!

No comments:

Post a Comment